Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Opti Green Fleet (June 17- Aug 16)
Monday, June 17, 2019 to Friday, August 16, 2019
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
Opti Green Fleet June 17- Aug 9
Opti Green Fleet (June 17- July 12)
Opti Green Fleet (July 15- Aug 9)
No Class July 3-5
This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
If you are interested in early drop off please contact Travis Carlisle at email@example.com
Optimist Green is our introductory racing team and compete primarily in local regattas around the Annapolis area. The Optimist Green class will be a stepping stone for sailors who want to become more involved in more competitive, higher level racing. Parents are expected to volunteer time to drive to various local events. Sailors will focus on refining boat handling and practicing other skills needed to become proficient racers, including:
- Using telltales
- Advanced sailing terminology
- The Racing Rules of Sailing
- Basic racing tactics
- Launching on own
Optimist Green sailors are required to have the following for both practice and race days:
Time: 10am to 4:30pm
- US Coast Guard approved life jacket with whistle attached
- 27’-30’ Floating bow line (1/4” min diameter), secured to mast step
- Two bailers that are secured to the boat
- 3 Air bags, must be firmly inflated an able to hold air
- Rudder retainer clip (secures rudder to transom)
- Daggerboard lanyard (to prevent it from floating away if capsized)
- Mast tie in system (line and/or locking collar)
- Bridal/Mainsheet connection, must be a shackle type
- Mainsheet Bridal, no loser then approx.. 4” from boom
- Paddle or Praddle
- Additional sail ties
- Appropriate gear/clothing: gloves, hat, closed toe shoes, no cotton based clothing
- Link to official 2018 Optimist Class Rules:http://www.optiworld.org/uploaded_files/2015%20Class%20Rules.pdf_2075_en.pdf
Sailors will receive a t-shirt for participating in our summer program.
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Re-usable water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a commemorative gift for participating in the summer program
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time.
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow the instructor to instruct and supervise.
- No Parking at SSA since the lot space is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 19th, 2019 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 16th, 2019 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.