Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Opti Intermediate June 17- June 28
Monday, June 17, 2019, 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
is closed - Event is full
To become a Junior Club Member, please Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Optimist Intermediate classes are suitable for sailors age 8-11 who have completed at least two sessions of the Optimist Beginner course, or an equivalent. Courses are offered in either a one-week-long, full-day session. Boats are provided, but sailors have the option of bringing their own. Older sailors interested in racing should consider owning a boat. In addition to becoming proficient in the skills from the Opti Beginner course, sailors will also be introduced to:
- Rigging on own
- Sail trim
- Parts of the sail
- More advanced sailing terminology
- Introduction and basic rules of racing
- Equipment maintenance
- Comfortable tacking and gybing
9pm to 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Re-usable water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a commemorative gift for participating in the summer program
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time.
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow the instructor to instruct and supervise.
- No Parking at SSA since the lot space is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 19th, 2019 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 16th, 2019 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.