Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
420 Green July 8- July 19
Monday, July 8, 2019, 12:00 PM until 4:30 PM
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
420 Green is our stepping stone to the Chesapeake Racers class for ages 12-17. In this class the sailor learns how to rig and sail a 420. This class is ideal for those sailors that have either grown out of an Opti or aged out of an Opti or are older and looking to sail in High School. Sailors should be familiar with how to sail upwind and downwind, points of sail, and parts of the boat. Boats will be provided but if you have your own boat we encourage that you bring it. This class will teach the following:
- Using telltales
- Boat handling
- Advanced sailing terminology
- The Racing Rules of Sailing
- Basic racing tactics
- How to roll tack
- Typical race courses
- Able to tell the difference between a puff and lull
- Launching on own
- How to Trapeze
- How to fly the Spinnaker
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Re-usable water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a commemorative gift for participating in the summer program.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 19th, 2019 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 16th, 2019 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.