To order lunches: http://breadandbutterkitchen.com/ssa-summer-camp-meals/
This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. If you are a current club member, please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (email@example.com) to receive your discount code, then proceed with your registration.
Emerging Opti classes are offered in both one week and two week formats. The sailors should know how to swim. The curriculum is the same for both sessions. Boats are provided, but sailors have the option of bringing their own. This class is ideally suited for sailors aged 7-11 who have completed Harbor Rookies. The class focuses on safety, fun, and learning the basic skills needed to sail independently. Ideally, sailors in the Emerging Opti class will be comfortable being in a boat on their own and will have some previous experience sailing the Optimist. Our goal is to have everyone sailing by themselves by the end of the course. There will be no class held the week of July 4th.
Skills introduced in Harbor Rookies will be reinforced and developed further, including:
- Wind and weather awareness
- Basic parts of the boat
- Points of sail
- Sailing terminology
- How to rig the boat by themselves
- How to tie up onto a towline
- Properly sailing upwind and downwind
Time: 9am to 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Type 3 or 4 Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch (Note: throw-away bottles will are strongly discouraged)
- Closed-toed shoes (no flip-flops)
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
Sailors will receive a commemorative gift for participating in the Summer program.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- No Parking in SSA for Junior Club Members since the lot space is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
- Early Drop Off
- Late Pick Up
- Early Drop Off/Late Pick Up
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 20th, 2018 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 17th, 2018 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.